I have been so excited to try out recipes for a homemade body wash, but sadly my first attempt was SO AMAZINGLY AWESOME that I didn’t even bother to try different ones. It consists of 4 ingredients: Dr. Bronners Soap, Glycerine, Almond Oil & Vitamin E.
This body soap is really sudsy (from the glycerine). I know bubbles don’t equal clean, but it does help give me the satisfaction of seeing the cleaning in action, and in turn I use less product. You can just as well halve the glycerine and still have a great body wash.
Super Sudsy Body Wash ‘Recipe’
Mix the following ingredients into a 15oz or larger bottle, shake to mix everything together. Add a nickle-size dollop to a loofah and lather!
- 1 1/4 cup Dr. Bronner’s Liquid Castile Soap (I love the Almond scented one in the green bottle)
- 2 Tablespoons Glycerine
- 1/2 cup Almond Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Vitamin E
This body wash turned out to be fairly expensive (see cost comparison below), but since it is really moisturizing, I have not had to use a body moisturizer or lotion (this body wash has gotten rid of the need for it) and that has saved a bunch of money.
- Softsoap Body Wash: $.20 per ounce
- Dove Body Wash: $.25 per ounce
- Jason Body Wash: $.32 per ounce
- Homemade Body Wash: $.57 per ounce
- Shea Moisture Body Wash: $.62 per ounce
- 1 1/4 cup Dr. Bronners: $16.29/32oz= $.51 per ounce x 10oz= $5.10
- 2 Tbs. NOW Glycerine: $6.79/16oz= $.42 per ounce x 1oz= $0.42
- 1/2 cup NOW Almond Oil: $8.39/16oz= $.52 per ounce x 4oz= $2.08
- 1 Tbs. Jason Vitamin E: $9.66/4oz= $2.42 per ounce x .5oz= $1.21
Total: $8.81 per 15.5oz. bottle or $.57 per ounce